How to Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is produced whenever any fossil fuel is burned. Because it is impossible to see, taste, or smell, carbon monoxide can kill you before you are even aware it is present. That is why it is important to have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

There are two types of carbon monoxide detectors: plug-in detectors and battery-operated detectors. Plug-in detectors must be plugged into an outlet, while battery-operated detectors can be placed anywhere in your home. It is recommended that you have at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.

If you cannot afford to have a fireplace and a wood-burning stove, make sure that you get it professionally cleaned at least once a year. When you have your chimney cleaned, the electrical repairs in Fairfax, VA will look for any potentially dangerous problems that could exist with your stove, which might include cracks or leaks.

To test your carbon monoxide detector, press the test button on the detector. If the detector sounds an alarm, this indicates that it is working properly. It is recommended that you test your carbon monoxide detector at least once a month.


  1. Choose the location for your carbon monoxide detector. The ideal location is near the sleeping areas of your home so that you can hear the alarm if it goes off.
  2. If you are installing a plug-in detector, plug it into an outlet.
  3. If you are installing a battery-operated detector, remove the battery compartment cover and insert the batteries.
  4. Test your detector to ensure that it is working properly.
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 for each additional detector you are installing.


  1. Test your carbon monoxide detectors monthly to ensure that they are working properly.
  2. Replace the batteries in your battery-operated detectors at least once a year, or sooner if the low battery indicator is activated.
  3. Clean your detectors periodically to remove any dust or dirt that could interfere with their operation.
  4. If your detector sounds, immediately evacuate your home and call 911.

By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your home is safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide.